PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Shell host

From: marv at madmarvonline.com (Mad Marv)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:55:52 -1000

At that point, you may want to send them to Dreamhost or another webhost
that allows users shell access.  Or you can sign up for an account
yourself and then create the shell accounts for your users.  I think you
will still be liable for any misconduct by your users, so YMMV.  I think
there are other proxy services that will allow shell access, but none
come to mind at the moment.

I tunnel my SSH through my DH account when traveling.  Keep in mind that
they do monitor shell activity.  I had an issue once when I tunneled
from Korea and they blocked me until I got my account whitelisted.  But
they are pretty reasonable once they are sure that you are not a robot.

Marv

xgermx wrote:
Stop me if you feel like this is thread-jacking but, what if you are
hosting shells for people you don't know?
How do you secure your box and each account? (This is completely
hypothetical. of course)

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Jonathan Moore <supermegatron at gmail.com
<mailto:supermegatron at gmail.com>> wrote:

    2008/12/15 xgermx <xgermx at gmail.com <mailto:xgermx at gmail.com>>:
    > So everyone seems to think that DIY is best. What if you're
    hosting shells
    > for not only yourself, but others as well?
    > Is hosting yourself still the best option?

    For simple shell accounts, sure.  If you're only going to be giving
    access to friends / family then absolutely sure.  The next best thing
    in my opinion would be to rent a dedicated server or colo and manage
    the server yourself.

    -Jon