oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Debian FEATURE: /home/loser is with permissions 755, default umask 0022

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 16:51:11 -0400

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 4:32 PM Kurt H Maier <khm () sciops net> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 09:41:39PM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
I also think the defaults should be changed, and not only on Debian.

This is just kicking the can down the road.  X years ago people
complained about oppressive defaults.  X years from now these defaults
will also be insufficient.   We could save a lot of treadmill labor
dollars by just admitting that global filesystem namespaces are a
mistake, but the sunk cost fallacy is preventing this.  It's the same
story as SETUID all over again.

Maybe it's time to take a more defensive posture and guide a user
through the setup if they wish. Nowadays you've got those
systemd-triggered first-time logon GUI wizards that could include a
step to setup file sharing, like making /home/loser/www available to
other users.

The defensive posture should keep security conscious folks happy, and
the setup wizard will keep promiscuous users happy.

Jeff