oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: linux-distros membership application - Microsoft

From: Georgi Guninski <gguninski () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 12:04:07 +0300

On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 10:40 PM Solar Designer <solar () openwall com> wrote:

Hi all,

Per our current policy and precedents, I see no valid reasons not to
subscribe Microsoft (or part(s) of it, see below) to linux-distros.  So
I intend to figure out some detail and proceed with the subscription.

Microsoft's history with Linux is a rather recent one. I can offer the

No, it is not recent. The Halloween Documents are from 1998,
which makes 21 years.

following examples if you're willing to give us a few months off of the
"1 year" requirement:

LOL.

 I suppose we could either give Microsoft this 1 month
off as you suggest based on Microsoft's track record of promptly dealing
with security issues in non-Linux products, or subscribe Microsoft to
linux-distros in August 2019 (or later).

Are you suggesting breaking the rules and giving microsoft
a present of one month? As a long time gnu/linux user and
linux kernel bug killer [1] I am disappointed by this.

What mailing list is best to discuss microsoft's involvement in
GPL? (last time I checked LKLM was extremely high traffic)

[1]: http://www.guninski.com/misc.html