oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: More Ghostscript Issues: Should we disable PS coders in policy.xml by default?

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 11:02:48 -0700

Quick update, this
<http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git&a=commitdiff&h=5812b1b78fc4>
commit fixes that problem, but I noticed that fix is incomplete and can be
bypassed, so filed another bug for that (the new bug is 699718).

$ ./gs -dSAFER bug699718.txt
GPL Ghostscript GIT PRERELEASE 9.25 (2018-09-03)
Copyright (C) 2018 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
uid=1000(taviso) gid=1000(primarygroup)

I would like to re-emphasize that while Ghostscript is very capable and
mature software, I consider the -dSAFER sandbox to be a fragile security
boundary and that we should consider deprecating (or minimizing the use of)
untrusted postscript.

Tavis.