oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Ghostscript 9.24 issues

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 12:26:01 -0700

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 3:42 AM Marius Bakke <mbakke () fastmail com> wrote:

Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com> writes:

Quick update, this
<http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git&a=commitdiff&h=5812b1b78fc4>
commit fixes that problem, but I noticed that fix is incomplete and can
be
bypassed, so filed another bug for that (the new bug is 699718).

I see <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1640>
is now closed.  As far as I can tell, these are the (only) commits
necessary on top of 9.24[*]:

https://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commitdiff;h=5812b1b78fc4d36fdc293b7859de69241140d590

https://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commitdiff;h=3e5d316b72e3965b7968bb1d96baa137cd063ac6

https://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commitdiff;h=643b24dbd002fb9c131313253c307cf3951b3d47

Which are all variations of CVE-2018-16509.  Is my understanding correct?

Yes, I think that's enough for all the issues I reported. There are some
more security commits in git (like this one
<http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commitdiff;h=fb713b3818b52d8a6cf62c951eba2e1795ff9624>)
that are not from me though. That one in particular seems like a good idea,
errordict is like window.onerror in PostScript, a top-level exception
handler. It's hard to believe there are many legitimate untrusted documents
using complex exception handling logic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Many thanks to Tavis and P0 for finding these and keeping us in the
loop!

[*] You'll also need this to make 2&3 apply:

https://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commitdiff;h=e914f1da46e33decc534486598dc3eadf69e6efb