oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: More Ghostscript Issues: Should we disable PS coders in policy.xml by default?

From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple dallas tx us>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 07:58:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018, Leonardo Taccari wrote:

Hello Bob,

Bob Friesenhahn writes:
The CERT advisory at https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/332928 provides a
policy.xml example which does not appear to block PS2 and PS3, which
are also entry points for reading Postscript.
[...]

If I am not missing something I think that ghostscript isn't used
for them though.

You are missing something. While they are unlikely to be triggered by default (but still could be triggered by an attacker with sufficient control), testing shows that

  convert -verbose PS2:file.ps outfile.png
  convert -verbose file.ps2 outfile.png
  convert -verbose PS3:file.ps outfile.png
  convert -verbose file.ps3 outfile.png

does in fact invoke Ghostscript.

Bob
--