oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: More Ghostscript Issues: Should we disable PS coders in policy.xml by default?

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 07:48:22 -0700

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:46 AM Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com> wrote:

$ convert input.jpg output.gif
uid=1000(taviso) gid=1000(taviso) groups=1000(taviso),10(wheel)
context=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023

My colleague Jann Horn pointed out evince (which uses libgs, which is
affected with some tweaks to the PoC) is used to generate previews in
Nautilus, which means previews can trigger code execution (see
/usr/share/thumbnailers/evince.thumbnailer). I think it's possible to
trigger that via file automatic download in a browser just by visiting a
URL, but I haven't tested it.

I think those thumbnails should be disabled, but you've probably noticed I
think everything related to untrusted ghostscript should be disabled :-)

Tavis.