oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Why send bugs embargoed to distros?

From: ludo () gnu org (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 22:15:08 +0200

Hi,

Hanno Böck <hanno () hboeck de> skribis:

I had informed the distros mailing list one week earlier about the
upcoming disclosure with a bug description and links to the already
available patch.
My understanding is that the purpose of the distros list is that
updates can be prepared so after a disclosure the time between "vuln is
known" and "patch is available" is short.
However from all I can see this largely didn't happen.

FWIW, for GNU Guix (which doesn’t have anyone yet on the distros list),
we pushed the patch less than 30 minutes after the public disclosure on
oss-sec¹.

The fact that your message to oss-sec was very clear on the issue and
its consequences, and contained a link to the (small) patch surely made
it easier to prepare the fix.

Ludo’.

¹ https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=e14ab0ad070b4eafa19fc1df81b7b5c3de1dc1b2