oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Vendor-sec hosting and future of closed lists

From: akuster <akuster () mvista com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 07:04:32 -1000

On 03/08/2011 06:19 AM, R P Herrold wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Josh Bressers wrote:

<snipped>

These track together -- mailman or such will cull dead email accounts
that bounce of course, but that is a pretty mild form of management.
Absent a charter to somehow mandate some 'contribution' to remain on a
list, there is not a clear rule to 'weed' the list.  But is this really
needed except from some idea of avoiding 'too many eyes'?  Frankly
running a distribution is work and for non-commercial distributions,
unpaid work

If a criteria for remaining on the list is needed, it is needed to make
sure that eyes are still reading the content -- handle that with a
periodic 'tracer' piece, and drop non-responders

This does not work if the responder your are sending to is an internal
mailman list. I am surprised this is even allowed.  Secondly, If I
happen to quit, my email gets forwarded to someone else in my company
(no bounce) and is another reason why encryption should be used.

- Armin