oss-sec mailing list archives

Vendor-sec hosting and future of closed lists

From: R P Herrold <herrold () owlriver com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 11:19:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Josh Bressers wrote:

prior content, not from Josh:
We would also be willing to host and maintain a closed vendor-sec style
mailing list like the previous one with the only condition for member
list to be public (not necessarily the individual contact names but at
least the entities represented).

I guess I do not see the reason for such a listing. The list that Josh put together from memory does not include the distributions I represented and coordinated vendor-sec matters for. Having such a list just offers better target identification of those NOT on the list and thus may lag a CRD, no? How is this beneficial?

There is also the option of recreating an old style list. This is a bit
more ad-hoc and Openwall has already offered to host such a thing (Solar
has quite a bit already in place). I do favor this a bit, as it would make
a nice compliment to oss-security

I favor such as well - I posted an offer to host such pro bono as a neutral vendor (centos inherently trails), but it was caught up in the trashing of the old vendor-sec host and so did not ever pass the old list. Openwall's offer is fine by me as well. I mentioned adding opportunistic SSL/TLS transport on the mailserver, to cut out casual MitM eavesdropping

1) Membership management is a pain. Adding new people is annoying and
  nobody ever leaves.
2) Nobody is in charge, which means sometimes issues can get ignored or
  forgotten (also see #1)

These track together -- mailman or such will cull dead email accounts that bounce of course, but that is a pretty mild form of management. Absent a charter to somehow mandate some 'contribution' to remain on a list, there is not a clear rule to 'weed' the list. But is this really needed except from some idea of avoiding 'too many eyes'? Frankly running a distribution is work and for non-commercial distributions, unpaid work

If a criteria for remaining on the list is needed, it is needed to make sure that eyes are still reading the content -- handle that with a periodic 'tracer' piece, and drop non-responders

-- Russ herrold
        (centos, cAos)