oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: request CVE id: insecure handling of DISPLAY in rxvt

From: Steve Kemp <steve () steve org uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:24:32 +0000

On Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:19:09 +0100, Tomas Hoger wrote:

Yes, many assumptions and ifs, but still silently assuming DISPLAY=:0
when no DISPLAY is set does not sound like a safe default.

  Agreed.

But then  I also don't understant what you mean by "setup an fake X
server waiting for someone loggin in..."

  This should be a matter of running 'startx' appropriately.  I was
 under the misapprehension that only root could startup X, but that
 seems not to be the case.

  Providing the host wasn't already running X then it might be possible
 for local users to launch a copy they control.

Could you describe the attack scenario in  a bit more details?

  I'd look forward to that too.

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.