oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: request CVE id: insecure handling of DISPLAY in rxvt

From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu.herrb () laas fr>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 09:42:59 +0100

Nico Golde wrote:
Hi all,
Steve, can I get a CVE id for the following issue in rxvt?

"If the DISPLAY environment is not set, rxvt opens an xterm on :0, which on some headless login-server means anyone can setup an fake X server waiting for someone loggin in without X forwarding to start rxvt by some mistake or by some program (thus without even noticing) and getting full shell access to that other account."

This is Debian bug 469296[0].

It should be a good idea to check other terminal emulators as well.

I don't understand how that's an issue with rxvt. If you "fix" the terminal emulator not to that, yo can still run rxvt -display :0 or env DISPLAY=:0 rxvt.

But then I also don't understant what you mean by "setup an fake X server waiting for someone loggin in..."

Could you describe the attack scenario in  a bit more details?
--
Matthieu Herrb