Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Tudor's Status Report - #15 of #17

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 21:43:17 -0500

Tudor,

I have been putting some thought into how you could best accomplish the
scanning. Since a big part of the hassle of Internet-wide scanning is
managing exclusion lists, I suggest you take one address at random from
each /24 in your "alive hosts" list and do a scan against each. This will
get complaints from lots of folks without being as resource-intensive as a
full scan.

At this point, you could reduce your target list by removing any addresses
from /24 blocks that resulted in complaints. Also, I would suggest removing
any addresses from /24 blocks that resulted in all ports open (or 900/1000
open or similar). These are likely not real targets.

You can also split up the ports to get a statistically-significant sample
instead of scanning all 65535 ports on every target. For each port,
sampling 5000 targets will give an accurate frequency +/-2 at 99%
confidence, so with 100M potential targets, you could break them into 20K
groups and scan a different 4 ports on each one. That seems a bit strange,
so maybe do 64 groups of 1024 ports against 5000-ish hosts each.
Significantly less workload, but decent results.

Dan

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Tudor-Emil COMAN <