Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: npcap issues

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 07:46:11 +0100

Hi Mike,

WinPcap Compatibility: If you choose WinPcap Compatible Mode at
install-time, Npcap will use the WinPcap-style DLL directories
c:\Windows\System32 and servcie name npf, allowing software built with
WinPcap in mind to transparently use Npcap instead. If compatability mode is
not selected, Npcap is installed in a different location
C:\Windows\System32\Npcap with a different service name npcap so that both
drivers can coexist on the same system. In this case, applications which
only know about WinPcap will continue using that, while other applications
can choose to use the newer and faster Npcap driver instead.

https://github.com/nmap/npcap/blob/master/README.md

I'm not sure why you're seeing errors about WinPcap if it is installed, but
it looks like Nmap still has a few hardcoded references to it when it could
also refer to Npcap now.

You don't need to uninstall WinPcap if you go with the Npcap default install
settings that will install it alongside. I'm not sure if it needs to be
uninstalled it you choose the WinPcap compatible option, but I suspect you
don't have to either. I'll try and check tonight.

Rob