Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Tudor's Status Report - #7 of 17

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 18:57:37 -0500

Is there a way that we could write a test script for this sort of thing
(testing performance with massive parallelism)? I imagine it would go
something like this:

1. Remove or increase parallelism limits for NSE. If this is compiled-in,
it should be a configurable #define in a header file.

2. The main script spawns threads as fast as possible without limit,
keeping track of how many threads per second are allowed by the engine
(allowed to start? or maybe how fast they finish?)

3. Each thread performs some discrete operation like a simple HTTP GET
(without using http.lua, since that would introduce pipelining and caching
which would interfere) against a service that can be shown not to be the
limiting factor. An nginx or lighttpd server on a gigabit or better
connection would do, since it should be able to handle tens of thousands of
concurrent connections.

4. The debug output could be consumed by some sort of graphing software to
show how each engine scales.

5. After 10 minutes or so, stop the test.

Dan

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Tudor-Emil COMAN <