Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: New WordPress NSE script (http-wordpress-info)

From: George Chatzisofroniou <sophron () latthi com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 07:23:42 +0000

Hello Peter,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 8:23 PM, peter () hackertarget com
<peter () hackertarget com> wrote:
I have put together an Nmap NSE script for simple reconnaissance against
WordPress installations. This is my first attempt at lua scripting so let me
know if there are any glaring issues.

The script performs three tests.

1. Find version of WordPress, first it will check the generator tag for the
version, if this fails it will attempt to find the version in /readme.html a
default file in all WordPress builds.

2. Find the theme that is currently being used. This can be found by
matching the path /wp-content/theme/ in the source of the page.

3. Find plugins in use by parsing the page source and matching the path
/wp-content/plugins/. This will not find plugins, but is a non-intrusive way
to gather information.

The general idea is to have a non-intrusive way to survey WordPress
installations.

Thanks for contributing. We have http-devframework for finding out the
technology behind the target website. I believe it's better if you
extend the WordPress entry in
nselib/data/http-devframework-fingerprints.lua and make it return more
information (theme & plugins) about the installation.

Let me know if you need any help,

--
George Chatzisofroniou