Nmap Development mailing list archives

New WordPress NSE script (http-wordpress-info)

From: "peter () hackertarget com" <peter () hackertarget com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 07:23:28 +1100

Hi List,

I have put together an Nmap NSE script for simple reconnaissance against
WordPress installations. This is my first attempt at lua scripting so let
me know if there are any glaring issues.

The script performs three tests.

1. Find version of WordPress, first it will check the generator tag for the
version, if this fails it will attempt to find the version in /readme.html
a default file in all WordPress builds.

2. Find the theme that is currently being used. This can be found by
matching the path /wp-content/theme/ in the source of the page.

3. Find plugins in use by parsing the page source and matching the path
/wp-content/plugins/. This will not find plugins, but is a non-intrusive
way to gather information.

The general idea is to have a non-intrusive way to survey WordPress
installations.

Sample output:

PORT   STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open  http
| http-wordpress-info:
|   version: WordPress 2.8.4
|   theme: radix
|   plugins:
|_    wpg2

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 4.28 seconds

PORT   STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open  http
| http-wordpress-info:
|   version: WordPress 4.0