Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r31576 (Nmap NSE vulnerability)

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:48:12 +0200

29.07.2013 08:19, commit-mailer () nmap org:
Author: fyodor
Date: Mon Jul 29 06:19:24 2013
New Revision: 31576

Log:
o [NSE] Oops, there was a vulnerability in one of our 437 NSE scripts.
  If you ran the (fortunately non-default) http-domino-enum-passwords
  script with the (fortunately also non-default)
  domino-enum-passwords.idpath parameter against a malicious server,
  it could cause an arbitrarily named file to to be written to the
  client system.  Thanks to Trustwave researcher Piotr Duszynski for
  discovering and reporting the problem.  We've fixed that script, and
  also updated several other scripts to use a new
  stdnse.filename_escape function for extra safety.  This breaks our
  record of never having a vulnerability in the 16 years that Nmap has
  existed, but that's still a fairly good run. [David, Fyodor]

I found this while reading Nmap's license headers:

 * Source is provided to this software because we believe users have a     *
 * right to know exactly what a program is going to do before they run it. *
 * This also allows you to audit the software for security holes (none     *
 * have been found so far).                                                *

Perhaps it would be appropriate to remove the "(none have been found so
far)" part?