Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Send comment in scan packet data

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 20:12:50 -0500

From a design standpoint, I have a couple comments:

1. Using "--comment" seems like a limitation of this feature. Compare
Nping's options:

  --data <hex string>              : Include a custom payload.
  --data-string <text>             : Include a custom ASCII text.
  --data-length <len>              : Include len random bytes as payload.

The --data-length option is the same. Is there any reason why Nmap can't
also support --data-string and --data? (Though I would prefer --data-hex,
it might be nice to keep the same syntax.)

2. As a follow-up to this feature being added, we should probably do some
testing with IPv6, especially given the warning about data length > 1400
which is based on IPv4. This may require some coding to add support for
Jumbograms.

Dan