Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: NMap Behavior Differences (HTTPS + Ubuntu 10.04LTS & Ubuntu 12.04LTS)

From: "Nmap User1" <nmapuser1 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 16:30:16 -0400

Hello,

I've done some additional testing on the HTTPS/SSL timeout issue (all with
Nmap v6.41):

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:  No NSE HTTPS/SSL timeout issue.
Debian 6.0.7:      No NSE HTTPS/SSL timeout issue.
Gentoo (k3.8.13):  No NSE HTTPS/SSL timeout issue.
Fedora 19:         No NSE HTTPS/SSL timeout issue.
Windows 7:         No NSE HTTPS/SSL timeout issue.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:  Yes, the NSE HTTPS/SSL timeout issue is exhibited.
Debian 7.1.0:      Yes, the NSE HTTPS/SSL timeout issue is exhibited.
Kali Linux:        Yes, the NSE HTTPS/SSL timeout issue is exhibited.

Testing Notes:
*Randomly selected hosts (from Google): www.bwin.com, home.eease.com, &
www.itslearning.com
*Nmap command: nmap -v -sS -Pn -p 443 --script=ssl-cert <host>

I've been encountering this timeout issue on nearly every client engagement
since I've switched to Ubuntu 12.04 (affects around 5% of all HTTPS
services).  I suspect many others are experiencing the same issue, however,
as the timeout issue isn't obvious in the results, it's likely to be
overlooked.

So what component in the identified current Debian based distros is causing
nmap to demonstrate this behavior?  The nmap debug logs did not appear
overly helpful in this case.