Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Request for testing: proxy support

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 13:52:24 +0200

2013/8/17 Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>:
2013/8/17 Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>:
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>
wrote:

For now, HTTP CONNECT and SOCKS4 are supported. Name resolution isn't
implemented. Also, ultrascan doesn't benefit (or suffer? :) proxy
support as it doesn't use nsock. That would be something to implement.

A chain is expressed as a comma-separated list of URLs.
e.g.: "http://localhost:8080,socks4://someproxy.example.com";.

Such a chain can be passed to nmap via --proxies <chain>. The chain is
parsed once and reused everytime a nsock pool is instanciated by nmap.

Authentication is not supported. As agreed before[1], I aim to first
validate
the core layers. refguide is also not updated yet, though I have no excuse
for that. :)

Can you add this to the refguide?  This is among the cooler new features in
Nmap 6.40, but folks won't know about it if undocumented.  It should
probably be added to the Nmap usage screen too if you can figure out how to
do so without taking up many lines.

Cheers,
Fyodor (who, as you can probably tell, is working on the Nmap 6.40 release
notes)

Hello,

I was initially thinking that the proxy feature should remain
undocumented until it gets more complete (no mroe DNS leak, proper SSL
support, usable for port scan). I changed my mind and will document
the feature so that people can understand these limitations and test
(and improve!) it.

Regards

--
Henri

Done (see r31893 for usage screen and r31894 for the refguide). Can
you check to make sure all important aspects are covered?

Regards

--
Henri