Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE structured output--normal output formatting

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:01:38 -0500

On 07/21/2012 12:48 AM, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
Can you start posting patches to the list or make a mirror branch on svn in /nmap-exp so it's easier to follow? I haven't been able to look at this and it's becoming quite frustrating during these discussions. I also want to see what nfs-ls looks like. Also, how are you handling verbosity now for script output?

Patrick,

I'm not super-familiar with SVN, but I think I created a branch under nmap-exp/dmiller/xml-output. If it worked, it should be up-to-date, but I'd appreciate instructions on keeping it up-to-date (with the trunk, that is. I can apply patches as I make commits easily enough).

Regarding verbosity, I think I'm handling it like NSE does currently: give script authors the ability to detect verbosity settings (nmap.verbosity(), nmap.debugging()) and adjust output accordingly. We could change it to tag output elements with a "verbosity score" and only display those below the current level, but that seems like a lot of work for not much benefit, considering that the current way has worked well so far.

Dan