Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE structured output--normal output formatting

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 01:48:11 -0400

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com> wrote:
I don't think that David is advocating for string output that is
wholly (or even mostly) different in content from the structured
output, but rather that the transform function should be called within
the script body, rather than by the engine, after the fact.

Sorry David for the confusion. I thought you were advocating all
transformations would happen on the script side but after reading your
OP again, I see you want to support all three cases.

As for what I think, I don't yet see an example script that would
benefit from supporting returning both a table and a string. So far
all we have is nfs-ls and that should look like (IMO):

local file = {uid=1000,path="/foo", ...}
local filestr = "drwx------ ...." -- transform code here
output.exports[1].files[1] = stdnse.scriptoutput(file, filestr)

So I'm against this change.

I am not advocating for abandoning a string representation that cannot
be recreated from XML structure: there are too many display options
for it to be obvious how to generate the string.

Not convinced.

I'll throw in one more advantage for the metamethod approach: nesting
of different display types. Consider nfs-ls.nse, which has ls-style
tables of data nested within an outline structure describing each
export. With metamethods, I "tag" each ls-table with the
rows-and-columns-style, then insert each into the standard-style
output table.

This doesn't make sense to me.

My implementation on Github can already handle this,

Can you start posting patches to the list or make a mirror branch on
svn in /nmap-exp so it's easier to follow? I haven't been able to look
at this and it's becoming quite frustrating during these discussions.
I also want to see what nfs-ls looks like.

Also, how are you handling verbosity now for script output?

--
- Patrick Donnelly