Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap v6.00 - problems if a wlan interface is installed/activated

From: Djalal Harouni <tixxdz () opendz org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 15:11:11 +0100

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:40:26PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 07:49:17PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
Confirmed, I just updated to a 3.0 kernel (3.2.0-24), and this problem
presents on an old svn build of 5.61test5 with wlan0 in monitor mode:

$ nmap --iflist -ddd

Starting Nmap 5.61TEST5 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-05-26 19:37 CDT
Fetchfile found /usr/local/bin/../share/nmap/nmap-services
PORTS: Using top 1000 ports found open (TCP:1000, UDP:0, SCTP:0)
INTERFACES: NONE FOUND(!)
Reason: getinterfaces_dnet: intf_loop() failed
ROUTES: NONE FOUND(!)
Reason: getsysroutes_dnet: sysroutes_dnet_find_interfaces() failed

If needed, I can do a debug build and step through this, but I'd
rather not, if someone can identify the issue first.

So do you think this is related to the monitor-mode problem that Henri
also saw?

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q2/478

I suspect it is because the interface doesn't have an IPv4 address. Do
you have a "mon1" interface in ifconfig output also?
David the part of the code that is failing as described in Henri email is
when the code is copying and converting the hardware address.

It should use the memcpy function.

David Fifield

--
tixxdz