Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap v6.00 - problems if a wlan interface is installed/activated

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 22:40:26 -0700

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 07:49:17PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
Confirmed, I just updated to a 3.0 kernel (3.2.0-24), and this problem
presents on an old svn build of 5.61test5 with wlan0 in monitor mode:

$ nmap --iflist -ddd

Starting Nmap 5.61TEST5 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-05-26 19:37 CDT
Fetchfile found /usr/local/bin/../share/nmap/nmap-services
PORTS: Using top 1000 ports found open (TCP:1000, UDP:0, SCTP:0)
INTERFACES: NONE FOUND(!)
Reason: getinterfaces_dnet: intf_loop() failed
ROUTES: NONE FOUND(!)
Reason: getsysroutes_dnet: sysroutes_dnet_find_interfaces() failed

If needed, I can do a debug build and step through this, but I'd
rather not, if someone can identify the issue first.

So do you think this is related to the monitor-mode problem that Henri
also saw?

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q2/478

I suspect it is because the interface doesn't have an IPv4 address. Do
you have a "mon1" interface in ifconfig output also?

David Fifield