Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Privilege checks in broadcast-* scripts

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () greenbone net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:43:12 +0100

Hello Patrik, Kris,

thanks for the insights.

2012/1/15 Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>:
So, in regards to the is_privileged checks, let's keep the checks in the
prerule until we find a general way to report errors back to the user
without cluttering the XML reports? There might be one or two more scripts
that need the change in that case.

Sounds good to me.

Kris: The rootfail stuff that we removed (from my patch) were the ones
performed within prerules, that are only executed once per nmap run.
It was therefore not necessary to bloat the registry with it.
Makes me think that a postrule script could look for that and report
things about scripts that were selected but failed at delivering
results because of a lack of privileges. This way we have the
information, but it isn't mixed with regular execution results.

Regards.

--
Henri