Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Vulnerability library proposal

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () greenbone net>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 18:40:33 +0200

2011/8/7 Djalal Harouni <tixxdz () opendz org>:
Hi list,

This is a proposal for a new NSE vulnerability library. The library is
designed to help managing discovered vulnerabilities and to make the
output more consistent.

It would be really great if we can have suggestions from pen-testers and
from people that integrate and use Nmap in their security tools.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Djalal,

thanks for the proposal, we've already discussed most of it together
and I find it pretty cool but there's still one point I'd like to
discuss.

You propose a "all or nothing" approach to store vulnerabilities in
the registry. Another option would be to let post-processing scripts
register their own filters to the library in the prerule function.
vulns.save_report() could take a callback in argument, just the same
kind that the selection_filter which are described in the proposal.
These filters would then be called each time a vulnerability is added
by a script. If one of the callback filters returns true then the
vulnerability is stored, otherwise we can discard it.

That would prevent the lib from storing everything if the only
post-processing script selected is one that just takes a small subset
of the tested vulnerabilities (like "high risk vulnerabilities which
are present"). We can also easily imagine some performance
optimization, to do the filtering only once, when the vulnerability is
added:
  - post-proc. script registers a filter and gets an ID back from the library
  - each time a vulnerability is added the filter is called against
it, and if it returns true the vulnerability table is stored,
associated to the ID of the filter.
  - the post-proc. script iterates over all the vulnerabilities
associated with its ID and report them or whatever...

Regards.

--
Henri Doreau |  Greenbone Networks GmbH  |  http://www.greenbone.net