Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Vulnerability library proposal

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () greenbone net>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 18:59:06 +0200

Hello,

2011/8/7 Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk>:
Is it possible we can parse the IDS values to automatically create the
references for popular IDs (e.g. CVE, OSVDB)? Otherwise you're duplicating
holding 'CVE-2010-4344' and
'http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2010-4344&apos; (this also
ensures that people adding an OSVDB such as 69860 won't need to remember to
also add the corresponding URL as a reference, which appears to have been
missed in one of your examples).

Good point, that would be a simple and very useful feature.

[...]
This probably goes outside the scope, but what would the XML output look
like? It'd be great if we could somehow use the internal tags to create XML
tags to easily identify the state/risk factor/references etc. (to save us
from having to parse all of the script output first).

This is one of the long term goal, having vulnerabilities clearly
identified within the XML output. So far we haven't discussed the
format that this might have (or maybe do you Djalal have ideas about
it?) but the plan was to make extensive use of stdnse.format_output()
so that the vulns lib would benefit any improvement there.

Rob

Regards.

--
Henri Doreau |  Greenbone Networks GmbH  |  http://www.greenbone.net