Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: backorifice-brute NSE script

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 22:44:35 +0300

This problem is similar to something I encountered earlier. I felt I
needed an assumptions system, so I could tell nmap "assume that this
host is running BackOrifice on port 12300", which would mark that
port, as if it had backorifice, but the reason would be "assumed"
until the fact had been confirmed by something else.

Maybe one day we could have a system like that, but it requires
careful design. I think it would also be cool, if script could mark
their assumptions during a scan. For example some script that accesses
netstat remotely might be able to tell that "port 12300 probably has
backorifice", and it would be cool if it could record this assumption,
to trigger backorifice-brute against that port.

However, at the moment the correct way to do this is using
shortport.port_or_service(31337, "BackOrifice","udp") just like you
said, and if someone wishes to run the script against 12300, he needs
to modify the port number in the script. This should be fairly easy
for an experienced user. You do not need super user rights, as you can
copy the script over to the working directory before you modify it.