Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: action-passwd-netbus.nse

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 12:12:44 +0300

Here is a new nse script I wrote for setting the password of a NetBus server.

I'm not sure if we should add it to Nmap distributions.

I am trying to set an example for scripts that perform operations on a
system. I think the script might be useful to someone who wanted to
write action-passwd-ssh.nse, or some other action-<something>-<some
protocol>.nse I only picked NetBus because that was the easiest (for
me) to get started with.

Previously I decided not to write such scripts because I felt their
use would be a rare special cases, and the learning curve would be too
steep for that. What made me change my mind was, that all parameters
for action-netbus-passwd.nse turned out to be optional. You'd also be
able to run all action-passwd scripts with a wildcard to secure all
systems with weak passwords, so you could learn to use all
action-passwd scripts at once.

 Does Netbus server even work on modern versions of Windows?

I know it works on modern Linux systems, as they often have the Wine
environment installed.

To quote David: 'Wow, I tried running NetBus170 on a Fedora VM under
WINE, and your
right. The "Screendump" button even gets a copy of the whole GNOME
desktop.' ( http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q4/685 )