Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Weird Crash - "WAITING_TO_RUNNING"

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 19:23:40 -0400

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Nathan <nathan.stocks () gmail com> wrote:
Ok, I've got some results with 5.51 on the same box.  Same command as
before:

time /usr/bin/sudo ./nmap --datadir . -sS -sV -T4 -p 1-65535 74.62.92.70 -P0
-v

(compiled in place - didn't run 'make install')

Elapsed time: 15m13s
Memory usage: 99MB

(same compile, but omitting '--datadir .' on the command, we get pretty much
the same thing)

Elapsed time: 15m21s
Memory usage: 99MB

Now here's the interesting thing, sticking to the original command, if I
edit the nse_main.lua in the local directory and set CONCURRENCY_LIMIT=100,
like you had it when we were testing your patches, we get this:

Elapsed time: 14m16s
Memory usage: 74MB

Fascinating, eh?  If you bring the concurrent threads down, you get a lower
peak memory usage AND faster total run time.  Well, that makes sense,
there's only 8 cores on this box, after all.  Looks like the concurrency was
too high and we were wasting some time and memory just managing all the
stuff in flight.  So what would happen if we brought it even closer?  Here's
what I got when I set CONCURRENCY_LIMIT=10.

NSE doesn't use operating system threads. NSE uses coroutines which
are referred to as threads by Lua.

Elapsed time: 21m31s
Memory usage: 67MB

Oops!  Even though we continued to trim peak memory usage, our run time just
got slaughtered.  Obviously the scripts aren't using that much processor
time, so we just artifically bottlenecked ourselves with a concurrency limit
set too low.

Yup.

The nice thing for me is that any way I take it, 5.51 isn't crashing and
doesn't necessarily need any monkey-patching from me.

Isn't it still taking much longer than some of our earlier tests?

--
- Patrick Donnelly