Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Weird Crash - "WAITING_TO_RUNNING"

From: Nathan <nathan.stocks () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:33:18 -0700

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 04:49:41PM -0800, David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 11:17:49AM -0700, Nathan wrote:
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
I looked over the code and I can't find what might be causing the change
in run time. I attached four different versions of nse_main.lua that
make incremental changes. Please try running each of the four and report
the times you get. Just copy each one over nse_main.lua in turn.

David Fifield

Sorry for the delay, it's been a very busy work week.  Here are the
measurements you asked for with your custom versions of nse_main.lua.
Please note that the values will fluctuate ~2% from run to run, but
within about that margin of error the runs were very consistent with
themselves.  Also, these were all run with nmap 5.35DC1, with
nse_main.lua replaced by the file indicated.

nse_main.lua.1: 53732 kB RAM, 5m40s

nse_main.lua.2: 53588 kB RAM, 5m21s

nse_main.lua.3: 55512 kB RAM, 5m27s

nse_main.lua.4: 54352 kB RAM, 5m22s

Since none of those seem to display any problems, I went and ran a
bunch of other things:

1) Here's the nse_main.lua pulled from 5.36TEST2 and copied over into 5.35DC1

54448 kB RAM, 5m23s

2) Same as #1, but with the CONCURRENCY_LIMIT lowered to 100

54312 kB RAM, 5m32.126s

3) Here's the vanilla nmap 5.36TEST2 on the same machine (when I run
this one, I compile it but don't install it, then I run it from the
directory it was compiled in).

94532 kB RAM, 14m48s

When you are running from the same directory, do you use "--datadir ."?
If not, it might be referring to the wrong nse_main.lua (the installed
one). Try your command with

nmap --datadir . <args..>

Nathan, did --datadir fix the problem?

I've been on vacation for the last several weeks.  Starting testing as
you asked now.  I'll post the results later today or tomorrow,
assuming I can hold off my coworkers that long... ;-)

~ Nathan