Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on script documentation

From: Djalal Harouni <tixxdz () opendz org>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:48:36 +0100

On 2011-03-01 08:46:47 +0100, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
On Montag, 21. Februar 2011, Ron wrote:
I think you'll find a lot of people who are okay with updating scripts/plugins/whatever on a regular basis, but are
hesitant to update the full software. I realize that's sort of odd, but it's something to keep in mind. .

I fully agree here, thats something we observe as well and regard as a problem.

However: Some time ago I've seen people trying to provide a OpenVAS plugin
feed with binaries. That miserably failed due to different hardware architectures
and subtle differences. Strange crashes were the result.
I am not saying it is impossible, but it will be a challenge.
I also agree, I can say that hardware architecture will definitely be
a problem.

I've started to write a proposal and some patches to introduce the
NSE version numbering support to solve the incompatibility problem,
thinking that only NSE scripts and libraries need to be updated, but
now I'm not sure anymore.

--
tixxdz
http://opendz.org