Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on script documentation

From: alexandru <alex () hackd net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:36:52 -0800

On 2011-01-24, at 3:18 PM, Fyodor wrote:

I'm not sure about that.  I think most Nmap users on Linux get their
Nmap (and other software) updates through their distribution's
repository system, which means updating the binaries as well as
scripts.  Firefox might be a better example, since they have a
multi-platform update system which can replace the engine as well as
the architecture-independent files.  It might be worth examining more
how that works.  Most Adobe software can be updated that way as well,
and that is how Microsoft Windows Update works too.  Windows Update is
Windows-only, but you get different binaries based on the version of
Windows you are using.  Apple's iPhone App Store and new Mac App Store
include binary update features.

Before Apple did it their way, most developers used Sparkle[0] on OS X to achieve automatic updating. It's done via
'appcasting'[1], which is a fancy way of saying it's using the RSS 'enclosure' element to notify of new updates.

I'm mentioning this here since it's open-source and may provide a decent set of ideas if a similar system is
implemented for Nmap.

[0]: http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/
[1]: http://connectedflow.com/appcasting/

--