Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Version display: included vs. system libraries

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:07:32 -0800

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 02:02:43AM +0530, ambarisha b wrote:
I have attached the patches.

That's a nice clean patch. It looks good to me. Here is my output
without any configure options:

Nmap version 5.51SVN ( http://nmap.org )
Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Compiled with: liblua-5.1.4 openssl-1.0.0c libpcre-7.7 libpcap-1.1.1 nmap-libdnet-1.12 ipv6
Compiled without:

Here it is --with-libpcap=included:

Nmap version 5.51SVN ( http://nmap.org )
Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Compiled with: liblua-5.1.4 openssl-1.0.0c libpcre-7.7 nmap-libpcap-1.1.1 nmap-libdnet-1.12 ipv6
Compiled without:

But how do we make it work on windows ? I built nmap on windows and
the included winpcap was used for the build.Then I uninstalled the
installed pcap and installed an older version to check.It just worked
fine.So how can I set and check macros , if the libraries are being
linked dynamically ? Is this because of Windows registry ?

That's a good question. I think we can just hard-code the settings on
Windows. Looking at the build environment, I see we always build liblua,
libdnet-stripped, and libpcre, but there is no project for libpcap. So I
added these to nmap_winconfig.h:

#define LUA_INCLUDED 1
#undef PCAP_INCLUDED
#define DNET_INCLUDED 1
#define PCRE_INCLUDED 1

It's true that the libpcap we link with may be the WinPcap binary that
we distribute, or it may be from winpcap.org. But the only difference is
in the installer (I think) so it's not so important.

I committed this as r22364.

David Fifield