Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE console script help

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:55:10 -0800

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 07:50:14PM +0100, Martin Holst Swende wrote:
On 01/19/2011 03:24 AM, Fyodor wrote:

To support only #3 or #4, we'd need a new option like --script-help
and it would have to pair with existing scripting options like
--script, -A, or -sC.  And we would have to do the actual scanning too
(possibly just to the point of rule evaluation for #3).
It is conceivable that this could also be 'shortcutted', so that  the
user specifies service/port from the
command line. Something like:
nmap -p80,8080 --script=all --script-help service='http'
==> nmap 'pretends' to have found open port 80,8080 and 'http'

I think that might be too complicated for most users.  If there is one
part of Nmap we should try to make simple, it is the help system :).
Also, some script rules depend on version detection results or other
information you wouldn't get even with the -p and service arguments
above.  I think I prefer the "--script-help [argument]" syntax, taking
the same arguments as --script can.  Users could get basically the
results above from "--script-help http-*'.

Cheers,
Fydoor