Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Dropbox LanSync host collection

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:37:38 -0800

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 06:30:49PM -0600, Mak Kolybabi wrote:
Yesterday we had the first of (hopefully) many hackathons here in Winnipeg. We
decided to write a bunch of Nmap scripts as our activity. Attached is the first
of these scripts, submitted for (hopefully) inclusion into Nmap. More will
follow.

This script has a single problem that we could not resolve. If another process
has bound a UDP socket to the broadcast address on the same port, the bind call
will succeed, but will never receive packets. This will come up if Dropbox is
running on the same host as Nmap.

I think the script looks good, though I don't have a Dropbox
installation to test it against. We need to figure out something before
we add it though. (Not your fault, but related to all prerule scripts.)
Currently several prerule scripts are being run with --script=safe. It's
already slightly annoying and unexpected to see, for example, DNS-SD
results fo the local LAN when running "nmap --script=safe scanme.nmap.org".
This script, with its 20-second timeout, will add 20 seconds to those
scans.

Any ideas about solving this? We already mitigated the problem by taking
these types of broadcast scripts out of default. Myabe they should run
only when specifically requested by name?

David Fifield