Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on script documentation

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 13:06:43 -0800

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 07:48:10AM -0600, Ron wrote:
This makes me think of another feature I've talked about before but
that nobody's taken the reins on: the ability to update scripts
without updating Nmap.

Telling people to "download the svn" to get the newest scripts isn't
always realistic, especially with Windows users, and stable builds can
be months apart. Having the ability to download the newer
nselib/script files in some way would be handy.

What if Nmap just came with a script that did the equivalent of

rsync -r rsync://nmap.org/scripts/ /usr/share/nmap/scripts/
rsync -r rsync://nmap.org/nselib/ /usr/share/nmap/nselib/

This is pretty much what openvas-nvt-sync does. It also can download a
.tar.bz2 file if rsync isn't installed.

http://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/openvas-scanner/tools/openvas-nvt-sync.in?rev=8017&root=openvas&view=markup

Maybe rsync would be easy to get to Windows users. This also wouldn't
solve the problem of version dependencies. I would also want there to be
some kind of digital signature verification or something so nobody could
spoof the feed.

David Fifield