Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Presentation and Vulscan Framework

From: Marc Ruef <marc.ruef () computec ch>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:10:36 +0100

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your feedback!

I took  a brief look at the scripts. Some feedback:
* web_server_fingerprinting.nse is really just a wrapper around nmap
service detection - it does not do anything :)

Yes, this is true and intended. Perhaps I haven't explained the idea of the package in enough detail. The goal is to collect all data gathered by nmap and to prepare it for further processing in a database. Our approach is discussed in more detail in the slides (pp. 25-42):

   http://www.scip.ch/labs/files/scip_hashdays10_nmap_nse_hacking.ppt

The provided scripts are just simple examples how this is achieved. They do not (really) improve the possibilities of nmap's data gathering or processing.

* web_server_http_1_1_pipelining_support.nse : this is strange. You just
check if the server responds with HTTP/1.1 - which, in my experience,
almost all servers do. The http-library in nse does support pipelining -
if you really want to check if pipelining is supported, why not use that
? However, personally I am not aware why that is interesting from a
security perspective - would be interesting to hear your thoughts?

This information might be useful during http fingerprinting because some hosts respond to an HTTP/1.0 request with the same HTTP/1.0 and other might switch to HTTP/1.1. As you can see here, not all servers respond with HTTP/1.1:

http://www.computec.ch/projekte/httprecon/?s=database&t=get_existing&f=protocol-version

The identification mechanism is *not* accurate. I was more targeting simplicity to illustrate the methodology of the framework.

While these scripts may be useful to you if you have certain demands on
the output, I think a lot of this is covered by other scripts/probes and
perhaps any parts not covered could be included - but I guess that
depends also on copyright issues...

Of course a lot is covered by other scripts (and far better; e.g. I am not taking http redirects into account due to priority of simplicity).

My scripts are just examples for separated data collection as it is required for large-scale vulnerability scans with dedicated data processing. The important part is the output wrapper and the possibilities for further parsing/analysis/moderation. I do *not* expect that ANY of those scripts is going to make it into the official Nmap NSE repository ;)

Althought the scripts are copyrighted, they underly the GNU General Public License 3.0.

Regards,

Marc

--
Marc Ruef | marc.ruef () computec ch | http://www.computec.ch/mruef/