Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] scan traceroute hops

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 19:17:36 -0600

On 2010-09-02 22:08:54 +0200, Henri Doreau wrote:
trivial, and of course relies upon the promising new target.add() feature.
Hi Henri,

Pls find attached a new version of the script with some small improvements.
* I've added a small check to not add the current scanned IP (host.ip).
* I've improved some debug messages.

I think that this script is ready to be merged.

Other notes:
* Perhaps we should add the category 'external' to scripts that add new
targets to Nmap, however I'm not sure on this.

I don't think so, at least not always (or rather, I don't think adding
targets really matters).  For example, I don't think my resolveall[1]
script should be external because it does what Nmap would do anyway (and
in the same way), it just doesn't discard extra addresses.  Also I don't
think my patch[2] for the snmp-interfaces script to add interface
addresses to the target queue really qualifies either because it doesn't
do anything "external" to grabbing interface information via SNMP from
the target host.

I agree. It's possible that a newtargets script could also be external,
but none of those under discussion seem like they should be to me.

David Fifield