Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] scan traceroute hops

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 19:16:08 -0600

On 2010-09-02 22:08:54 +0200, Henri Doreau wrote:
trivial, and of course relies upon the promising new target.add() feature.
Hi Henri,

Pls find attached a new version of the script with some small improvements.
* I've added a small check to not add the current scanned IP (host.ip).
* I've improved some debug messages.

I think that this script is ready to be merged.

I think it's ready too, but we should give some thought to the name. I
think it would be a good idea to establish a common naming convention
for scripts whose only purpose is to expand the list of targets. Maybe
something like targets-traceroute.nse.

Other notes:
* Perhaps we should add the category 'external' to scripts that add new
targets to Nmap, however I'm not sure on this.

No, that is not what external is for. It's for hostrule and portrule
scripts that contact hosts other than their target. The user already has
the newtargets switch to control it.

* When showing Nmap scan results, I think that the traceroute results
should apear *before* script scan results, since the traceroute phase is
*before* the script scan phase [1]. Currently they are after (a two lines
change!).

I don't think this matters much.

* Can someone tell us why some of the port scan operations are disabled
when we use the --traceroute option (I didn't look at it.)

What do you mean? What port scan operations are disabled?

David Fifield