Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Current SVN fails to build / link on CentOS 5.5 (MD2)

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:49:45 -0600

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:36:57PM -0700, alexandru wrote:
I should also note that, by default, Nmap doesn't compile against a 'vanilla' installation of openssl-1, as new
versions are compiled without MD2 support by default. (hence the ./config enable-md2 line above).

I see the Macports people have dealt with it by removing MD2 from Nmap:

    patch: https://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/25593/nse_openssl.cc.diff
    ticket: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/25593

Seems like MD2 support should either be dropped from Nmap, offered as a config option, or an implementation should be
shipped with Nmap itself, otherwise users would need to recompile OpenSSL-1.x.x

I'm fine with ripping out support for MD2. That's part of Vlatko's
Android patch too. Does anyone have a reason to keep it? If it's not in
OpenSSL, it's not going to be in a lot of software for very long.

David Fifield