Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Current SVN fails to build / link on CentOS 5.5

From: alexandru <alex () hackd net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:36:57 -0700

On 2010-08-18, at 3:54 PM, alexandru wrote:

My 5.5 install ships with openssl-devel 0.9.8e. I've just tested this and it seems SSL_set_tlsext_host_name was
introduced in openssl-1.

If you don't want to do a global install of openssl, but just want to compile Nmap against it, you can download
http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.0a.tar.gz into a temp location, and build it

./config --prefix=/tmp/work enable-md2
make depend
make
make install # will put files in /tmp/work

I should also note that, by default, Nmap doesn't compile against a 'vanilla' installation of openssl-1, as new
versions are compiled without MD2 support by default. (hence the ./config enable-md2 line above).

I see the Macports people have dealt with it by removing MD2 from Nmap:

    patch: https://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/25593/nse_openssl.cc.diff
    ticket: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/25593

Seems like MD2 support should either be dropped from Nmap, offered as a config option, or an implementation should be
shipped with Nmap itself, otherwise users would need to recompile OpenSSL-1.x.x

--
@