Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Request for German translation

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:51:53 -0600

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 06:16:48PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
Can a German speaker kindly translate "Filter Hosts"? I want the
screenshot at http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-lang.html#zenmap-fig-lang to
be completely translated.

For this small a job, you don't have to send a patch against de.po. Just
tell me what it should say.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I see there is no shortage of
ways to express this. I chose and committed "Filtere Rechner", because
"Rechner" is used for "Host" elsewhere in the interface. "Rechner
filtern" looks like it would have been fine as well.

None of our translations is complete because interface elements and
strings keep changing. If you want to complete a translation, or fix one
you find inelegant, follow the instructions here

http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-lang.html#zenmap-lang-new

The translation process mainly consists of editing the proper .po file
(de.po for German) and entering missing strings. As an example, part of
de.po looks like this:

#: zenmapCore/UmitOptionParser.py:120
msgid ""
"Specify a scan result file in Nmap XML output format. Can be used more than "
"once to specify several scan result files."
msgstr ""

#: zenmapCore/UmitOptionParser.py:131
#, python-format
msgid "Run %s with the specified args."
msgstr "%s mit angegebenen Argumenten ausführen."

All you do is fill in the blank translations (msgstr ""), then send a
patch or a complete new .po file.

David Fifield