Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap errors on our Win7 corporate image

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:03:25 -0600

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:19:27AM -0500, Ron wrote:
We just installed Nmap 4.21 on our Windows 7 image at work. We ran
into two issues that may have already been resolved in subversion (I
apologize if they are).

Do you mean 5.21 (not 4.21)? Zenmap wasn't in the Windows installer in
any of the 4.21ALPHA releases. It wasn't until 4.22SOC3 when it was
added, still called Umit.

The first, when Python hits an error, it tries to write to c:\program
files\nmap\zenmap.exe.log. Since users don't have write privilege to
program files, this fails. Is it possible to store the log somewhere
else?

This is something that py2exe does.
http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/StderrLog. We could try to work around
it, but I don't think it's worth it. Normally the log file is only
written to when there's an exception, and even then it only happens when
the GUI bug reporter somehow doesn't work.

The second, that I'm not as clear about, is this:

RuntimeWarning: tp_compare didn't return -1 or -2 for exception
RuntimeWarning: tp_compare didn't return -1 or -2 for exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "zenmap", line 91, in <module>
  File "zenmapGUI\App.pyo", line 116, in <module>
  File "zenmapGUI\higwidgets\__init__.pyo", line 100, in <module>
  File "zenmapGUI\higwidgets\higboxes.pyo", line 99, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Box'

It looks like a version error with Python, but I'm not sure what could
be causing that. Nmap from the commandline works fine, fortunately, so
it's no big deal. I just thought I'd report it in case nobody else
had.

This is a very strange error. It's saying that gtk.Box doesn't exist. Do
you by chance have another installation of Python on the machine? Does
anyone else see this on Windows 7?

David Fifield