Nmap Development mailing list archives

[NSE] Check for MS06-025 vulnerability in Microsoft RRAS service

From: Dražen Popović <drazen.popovic () fer hr>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 00:52:47 +0200

Hi nmap-dev!

I'm glad to inform you that my first NSE script is ready for the sharp
eye of the nmap-dev community.

The code is heavily documented for my own pleasure and for the ones that
will eventually read the code. Note that the documentation focuses
greatly on the matter itself rather than the programming steps.

I encountered several problems which I also documented, and some of them
remain a mystery to me. These problems involve the weird reactions I got
from the service and the corresponding RPC procedures.

I've commited the script in my SVN directory and updated my TODO with
some important notes that I think my mentor should take a look at. Once
I research these assumptions in more depth I plan to post my notes,
ideas and recognized issues to nmap-dev for discussion.

For now I would really appreciate any feedback on the script.

And a special request goes for the ones that have a machine running
WinXP SP1. There have been claims that this service is accessible with
non administrator privileges on XP SP1, so that would be a great thing
to check.

With the script comes the smallish patch that changes one line in
"msrpc.lua" library. You can do it manually, but I feel comfortable
sending you the patch. This patch is harmless as it can not destabilize
the code in any way, so you even don't have to revert it back.

@Fyodor: You asked me if I can manage to check for the vulnerability
without crashing the service. The answer is yes, but that means that NSE
is infact entering the realm of, what OpenVAS guys like to call it,
Local Checks. My steps would be to find the Windows patch for the
vulnerability (KBXXXX) and then remotely using "Remote Registry" service
determine if it was applied. This process is heavily automated in
OpenVAS.

Cheers everyone,
Dražen.

--
Laboratory for Systems and Signals
Department of Electronic Systems and Information Processing