Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: status report #6 of 15

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:11:17 -0700

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 10:46:55PM +0530, kirubakaran S wrote:

**sample output:
FileName:afp-brute.nse
category: ['auth', 'intrusive']
license: Same as Nmap--See http://nmap.org/book/man-legal.html
Author: Patrik Karlsson
Performs password guessing against Apple Filing Protocol (AFP)

Arguments:['userdb', 'passdb', 'unpwdb.userlimit', 'unpwdb.passlimit',
'unpwdb.timelimit']

Thanks Kirubakaran!  I have a few minor suggestions:

I don't think we should inclue "License" for two reasons:

1) The license doesn't really matter for people USING the scripts.
   Everyone is allowed to use it.  The license only matters for people
   who redistribute scripts, and such people can get the information
   from reading the source or the NSEDoc.

2) All 128 scripts have exactly the same license text anyway.

The "Author" field is a a tougher choice.  It is not very relevant to
the Zenmap user either, but I can also see some arguments for keeping
it.  Overall though, I think I'd rather see the Author field in the
script source and the NSEDoc (as is the case now), but not in the
Zenmap interface itself.

As far as:

FileName:afp-brute.nse

I would probably just have "afp-brute" and have it centered or bolded
or underlined or otherwise distinguished somehow.

The fields should all be capitalized, with a space after the colon.  I
don't think you really need the square braces around the argument list.

Cheers,
Fyodor