Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap IP (host) sort not octet aware

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 16:27:16 +0100

On 04/04/2010 15:07, David Fifield wrote:
What would be great would be to combine hostname and IP address
in one column as is done now, and let different sort modes happen when
clicking on the colun header. One click: sort by address; two clicks:
sort by hostname; ideally with a textual indication of which is in
effect in the header. I'm not sure that is easy or possible in GTK+;
I'll have to check.

That's a great idea if it's possible.
Sorting hostnames should work starting from the last domain component,
so you get

bar.com
firewall.bar.com
www.bar.com
foo.com
aaa.foo.com
sub.bar.org

I can see the logic with that and if it's possible to have different
sort modes then perhaps it should be included - if it were possible to
have a pull-down menu with a 'sort-by' list, that would be good.

I personally would want to sort the hosts so I can find particular ones
quickly and for that, I'd need them sorted from left to right:

aaa.foo.com
bar.com
firewall.bar.com
foo.com
sub.bar.org
www.bar.com

or perhaps grouped by domain name and then sorted from left to right:

bar.com
firewall.bar.com
www.bar.com
sub.bar.org