Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap IP (host) sort not octet aware

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:26:43 -0600

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 08:07:32AM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 12:07:05PM -0500, Norris Carden wrote:
In Zenmap, when sorting the list of ports/hosts by the Host column, the
sort of IPs without host names is not octet-aware... meaning it sorts
like Excel, not like an IP address aware software. This is how it sorts:

10.1.1.1
10.1.1.10
10.1.1.2
10.1.1.20
10.1.1.3
10.1.1.30

It would be very helpful if this sort was made to be aware that it was
sorting IP addresses in order to present in this fashion:

10.1.1.1
10.1.1.2
10.1.1.3
10.1.1.10
10.1.1.20
10.1.1.30

That's a good point. I can't even get it to sort as in the first
example. (It's sorting by default these three addresses like this:

192.168.0.21
192.168.0.1
192.168.0.190

It looks to me like clicking on the Host column to sort is only sorting
by operating system icon. (See how a little arrow appears in both column
headers.) Sorting by address independently would be more useful.

I implemented sorting by IP address. It will be in the next release. The
options for sorting by hostname are less important and are not
implemented now.

David Fifield