Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Replacing passwords.lst

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:13:09 -0700

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 12:15:02AM -0800, Fyodor wrote:
On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 12:09:14AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:

Attached are the results an an image, also available here:
http://noh.ucsd.edu/~bmenrigh/list_quality.png

Nice!  I really do think having good username and password files is
super important and I'm glad to see so many good ideas!

I'm pretty sure we can make a hybrid dictionary that weights the
lists.  That is, weight RockYou at say 70%, and John and PHPBB at 15%
and then take the top 70% (of 200) passwords from RockYou and then the
top 15% (of 200) from PHPBB and John that aren't already in the top 70%
RockYou.

I agree, though I tend to think we shouldn't weigh the results by
anothing other than raw password frequency.  I think we should just
combine the RockYou, PHPBB, Myspace, and all other reasonable password
DBs we can find into one master frequency sorted list.  Then we can
truncate that to the appropriate size for Nmap NSE and Ncrack.
Admittedly we have some lists such as John which don't have frequency
data associated with them, but I think we should just exclude those
for now.  SD told me he would try to get me a version with frequency
counts--I should ping him on that again.  With good data, I think
going well above 200 passwords is reasonable.  Some scripts/libraries
might not want to go through that many by default, but they can always
set their own limits (in terms of number of guesses or total brute
force time spent), and having larger files allows users to specify
larger limits when desired.

So my suggestion is to create a new directory
/nmap-private-dev/data/passwords.  Maybe have a subdir of that for the
original lists.  But in the directory itself you can store the
frequency sorted version of each password list.  Then we can combine
all of them into one frequency counted and sorted
/nmap-private-dev/passwords.lst.master like we have now.  I think the
one we have now may only have myspace passwords in it (according to
the comments up top).  Then that passwords.lst.master file can be used
to create /nmap/nselib/data/passwords.lst and
~/ncrack/lists/default.pwd.  The default.pwd will probably be much
larger than passwords.lst.  Setting it up this way will allow us to
add new password files from time to time as we find them.

I made this directory and copied the old MySpace passwords into it. I
didn't realize that Ron's databases were so huge--RockYou is like 100
MB. I copied the first 10,000 lines of phpBB and RockYou into the
directory as well. Are there any others that are recommended as
general-purpose lists?

David Fifield